Wednesday, October 30, 2013

First Impression: Chevrolet Camaro Breast Cancer Awareness Pace Car


During the month of October, it is all about Halloween. It is all about costumes, candy, horror, and the macabre during the month October. But, Halloween is just one day in the month. October is known for something else besides Halloween, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I watch my beloved Houston Texans and I see players with pink gloves and pink cleats. I watch WWE and see a pink middle rope in the ring as well as wrestlers wearing pink wrestling merchandise. As someone who has lost female family members to cancer, including an aunt to breast cancer, I admire when car companies donate money to the American Cancer Society. A pink Chevrolet Camaro SS was used as the pace car for the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Advocare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Chevrolet would donate $200 to the American Cancer Society for every caution lap, which there were 64 caution laps during that race. Chevrolet ended up donating $12,800 to the ACS. Chevrolet has made several pink Camaros for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Also, this is my 250th article, so what better way than to celebrate with a car dedicated to a cause I support, especially with my family history.

I saw a Breast Cancer Awareness Camaro at the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This Camaro has pink with white in the middle. There is a big pink ribbon on the hood. Also, the Chevrolet emblem is pink. There is "CHEVROLET" going across the top of the windshield. There are even pink ribbons in on the rear sides of the vehicle. I applaud Chevrolet for making this type of custom car for Breast Cancer Awareness..

The powertrain for the Breast Cancer Camaro is the same as a Camaro SS. The Camaro SS is powered by a 6.2L V8 that produces 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. It goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and reaches a top speed of 159 mph. Even with the pink and white paint job that includes pink ribbons, this vehicle still has power and performance. A SS Camaro coupe normally starts at $32,750 for the 1SS and $36,350 for the 2SS. I have not seen one of these pink Camaros go on sale at an auction.

Final thoughts: I admire Chevrolet for building these pink Camaros for a great cause. My family has been affected by cancer. I have lost two grandmothers and an aunt to cancer. I am all for any company that does something special and donates the proceeds to the American Cancer Society. These pink Camaros would make a great addition for Chevrolet car collections and pace car collections. I wish Chevrolet would auction a few of these pink Camaros and donate the money to cancer research. Still, I applaud Chevrolet for making this car and donating money to the American Cancer Society. As for me personally, I could see myself with a Camaro at some point, just not pink.

CarJunkie
Photo was taken by a camera phone.
To see more car related articles, check out http://carjunkie713.blogspot.com/.
Follow me on Twitter @CarJunkie713.

No comments:

Post a Comment